Seeking to play a part in the fight against climate change the group now has several strands:
- A Facebook Group providing a neighbourhood forum on Green Issues
- Providing an article from one the group in every issue of Connections
- Greening the front of the church
- Ethical procurement - Fairtrade consumables, flowers, sustainable products etc, raw materials for handyman
- Church building improvements to meet ethical standards e.g. ensuring the new boiler can be converted to burning Hydrogen, insulation of buildings.
Eco Congregation Scotland Awards
Greenbank Church is a holder of the Gold Award of Eco Congregation Scotland. Our assessors were so impressed with our action within the church and in the community here in Greenbank and in the wider world that instead of giving us the Silver Award which we had applied for we were given the Gold Award.
Here is the Church of Scotland’s toolkit: A Practical Path to Net Zero Carbon for Churches
Ethical Procurement Policy
Our policy is here.
Bike Day – demonstrations of electric and cargo bikes. Bike fixing clinics.
Congregational Survey and Exhibition
Members were given survey forms on entry to the church and encouraged to visit an exhibition including a computer running energy calculations. Results of the survey were published in various issues of Connections.
Various films have been shown with lively discussions afterwards.